One of the most popular all in one aquariums in the hobby today is the Innovative marine Nuvo 20. This aquarium features low iron glass that is crystal clear so your fish and coral colors will look great. Combined with its dual overflow, filter area, and return pump, this tank is considered to be one of the best all-in-one systems on the market.
The best feature of the IM Nuvo 20 is that it is fully upgradeable. This is a great system just the way it is, but many people will want to upgrade the existing pieces or add additional equipment to make it even better.
9 Upgrades that you can incorporate into the IM Nuvo 20
- Nuvo Skim DC protein skimmer
- Sicce Silent 1.5 pump
- Tunze Osmolator Nano ATO
- Eshopps Reservoir tank
- Sicce Voyager Nano 1000
- Kessil A80 LED
- Eheim 100w heater
- In-tank media basket
- MiniMax pro media reactor
The Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20 can be found at Amazon.
Nuvo Skim DC Protein Skimmer
This awesome skimmer is the newest model made for the IM Nuvo. The Nuvo Skim DC is the first DC protein skimmer made for nano tanks.
This skimmer will fit perfectly into the rear filter chamber. It is quiet and runs very smooth. There are some great upgrades made to this skimmer, including:
- DC powered needle wheel pump
- Dual silencers
- The enlarged air silencer box
- and much more
The Nuvo Skim DC is rated for tanks up to 25 gallons. It is designed to fit many of the IM Nuvo tanks, including the Fusion Nano 10, Fusion Lagoon 25, Peninsula 14 and Peninsula 20.
With the dimensions of 3.58″ x 2.28″ x 9.84″ this is a powerful little protein skimmer and adding it to your IM Nuvo Fusion 20 will really beef up your filtration.
- Made to Fit All Desktop Models of Innovative Marine Fusion AIO (all in one) aquariums. (Nuvo Fusion 10, 20, Peninsula 14, 20, Lagoon 25, Concept Panorama 20, Concept Peninsula 20 and Encore 20) | Foot print: 2.3" x 3.8"
- Dual Silencers (Internal & External) | Enlarged Air Silencer Box
- Noise Reducing Rubber Feet | Suspended Pump Design
Sicce Silent 1.5 return pump
The stock return pump that comes with the kit is rated at 211 GPH. Which is fine, and you have the option of adding a powerhead to increase the flow rate in your tank.
But if you are looking to increase the flow rate from the return pump, you have a few options. I recommend you check out the Sicce Silent 1.5.
This will increase the flow rate to 357 GPH and there is a dial to adjust the flow rate if you find it’s too much.
There are many great things about this pump: it is silent and Sicce builds a solid pump. It is also strong enough so if you decide to keep SPS corals, you will have plenty of flow versus the stock return pump.
- SYNCRA SILENT: This pump is designed to pair elevated performance and energy efficiency with extreme silence. It is the perfect pump to provide constant movement in a completely silent environment.
- VERSATILE: The Syncra Silent line of pumps is ideal for aquariums, indoor fountains, and all submersible or in-line applications which require high performance and total silence.
- PRODUCT DETAIL: The 1.5 pump is perfect for both wet and dry. Features taller suction cups to prevent vibrations. An AISI 316 Stainless steel shaft and stepped hoses are included.
Tunze Osmolator Nano ATO
I am a huge fan of the Tunze auto top off systems and I always recommend them. I use this model on my Biocube 32 gallon, and they will work great for any tank size up to 55 gallons. They will actually work on larger tanks too, but that is the manufacturer’s recommendation.
The Osmolator nano is perfect for the IM Nuvo Fusion 20. It’s easy to set up and use, they don’t take up much space and are affordable.
You will most likely be running your Fusion 20 with an open-top. Unless you add on a top or canopy as they don’t come with one. So water will evaporate from the tank quicker than a tank that has a cover. So an ATO will help keep your water topped up, keeping your levels in check.
- Simple, complete, Auto Top Off System
- Designed for tanks up to 55gals
- Safety timer shuts off system after 1.8 or 3 minutes as set by user
Eshopps water reservoir
Of course, if you plan on having an auto top off system, you need to have a container to keep the fresh water in.
The Eshopps water reservoir holds 2.5 gallons of water and comes with a shut-off valve. The dimensions are 10″x5″x12″ so it doesn’t take up a lot of space.
You can use this on the IM Nuvo Fusion 20 as it is rated for tanks up to 40 gallons.
- Quality tested, made in the USA with high grade material
- Safety and Cleanliness in mind with Eshopps Design
- Price competitive and extremely safe for your pets
Sicce Voyager Nano 1000
If you want to increase the water flow in your tank without having too much, check out the Sicce Voyager Nano 1000.
This is a compact pump rated at 270 GPH. So this will give you about a 13X turnover rate. Combined with your return pump, this will give you plenty of water movement in the tank.
The dimensions of this pump are only 2.4″L x 1.7″W x 2″H, so it won’t use up much space.
With all nano tanks, it’s important to minimize the amount of equipment as space is limited.
These pumps are very popular and have a great performance record. They are priced great and are perfect for the IM Nuvo Fusion 20.
- VOYAGER NANO: A stream pump with a sleek, compact design to ensure the minimum size in a pump that simulates wave motion with ultra-low energy consumption and exceptional performance.
- MAGNETIC ATTACHMENT: The Voyager NANO utilizes a strong magnet to attach itself to the side of your tank (glass up to ¾” thick), allowing you to easily move the pump around the tank.
- PRODUCT DETAILS: The pump features a self-cleaning impeller and a stainless steel shaft. It uses a 360-degree movable rotor and features a flow adjuster to change the flow manually.
Kessil A80 LED Lighting
Keeping budget in mind, the Kessil A80 LED is a great choice for the Nuvo 20. If you plan on keeping a fish only tank, then 1 of these lights will be sufficient. But if you are going to have corals in the tank, then you will most likely need 2 of them.
The great thing about these lights, is you still get the Kessil quality without breaking the bank. These lights are only rated at 15 watts, but you will still get a nice quality light and the shimmer that Kessil is famous for.
If you decide to go with the Kessil A80, you will need to buy the mounting bracket as well. The Kessil gooseneck is what I use and recommend.
- The Kessil Tuna Blue A80 LED Light is the newest Kessil offering is half the intensity of the A160, but comes with all the same features and color and control knobs. This A80 (the Tuna Blue) version is for reef tanks.
- Compatible with the Kessil Spectral Controller
- Coverage is 14" to 24" depending on the scenario
EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 75W
The Eheim 75 watt heater is a great choice for the Nuvo 20 gallon tank. I am a huge fan of the Eheim heaters and have been using them for many years without issues.
They are a quality built heater that is reliable and accurate.
The 75-watt heater is rated for tanks up to 26 gallons, and will fit perfectly into the rear chamber of the IM Nuvo Fusion 20.
A few other things I like about this heater are the price, the Thermo safety control, and the shatterproof glass.
- Fully submersible
- Thermo safey control protects against running dry
- Will automatically turn off when water level dips too low
In-Tank Media basket
The In-Tank media baskets are very popular, and this one is specifically designed to fit the IM Nuvo aquariums. They are also designed to improve the filtration ability of your Nuvo 20.
These media baskets are made out of high-quality laser-cut acrylic and have a 3 shelf design. The basket will force all the water through the media instead of flowing around it.
This will improve the filtration ability of the media being used. Not only that, but this will help keep the rear chamber more clean.
They are easy to use and maintain. The removable door allows for easy access to the shelves which slide out, so you can remove and replace the media. Cleaning is also a breeze.
- Fits Fluval Evo 13.5 and Fluval Spec 16 in Chamber Two (accessory chamber). Keeps rear chambers clean and promotes clear water
- Provides an excellent location for chemical, mechanical or biological media. Includes FREE plug to block off lower hole on false wall.
- Forces water through filtration media and not just around it. Media Basket is two sided and once installed is "boxed in"
Innovative Marine Minimax Pro media reactor
The Minimax Pro media reactor is designed to be hidden in the rear chamber of your IM Nuvo 20 tank. No more large pieces of equipment hanging off your tank.
This media reactor can be used with various types of filter media and is the right size for the Nuvo 20. The great thing about this reactor is you no longer need flex tubing, ball valves, PVC, or any other unnecessary clutter.
This reactor is ready to use right out of the box. It’s simple to set up and maintain. It’s also very quiet and energy-efficient.
It will hold up to 150 ml of media, which is suitable for this sized tank.
If you are thinking about getting a media reactor for the IM Nuvo 20 aquarium, I recommend the Minimax Pro.
- Filter Media Reactor | Just Add Your Favorite Media | Dims: 2.6" x 3.07" x 15.75"
- Made from quality cell cast acrylic - Bracket Included | Smallest Form Factor
- Responsive Flow Control | Low Power Consumption
So as you can see, there are some great options for you if you want to upgrade your IM Nuvo aquarium. These are a few of the upgrades that I recommend and, of course, there are many other options depending on your budget and what type of set up you plan to have. Any of the items mentioned here will beef up the already awesome Innovative Marine tank, so you can enjoy the tank even more.